Friday, November 30, 2018

Day 38: When Your Job Isn’t Your Calling (100 Days to Brave)

I am a SAHM, or stay-at-home mom, for those of you who are not in the know. Depending on the social circles you spend your time in, or the generation you were raised in, this is either A) entirely recognizable as a legit, honorable, difficult career, or B) a joke.
Assuming you lean towards item “A”, you would likely understand that this is difficult, not because I don’t enjoy my children, but because there is an undoing, a humility, that comes with pausing one’s life or changing the trajectory so dramatically. Money stops coming in on my behalf. I don't have a “uniform” and expectations can be blurred. Many days I never get out of my pajamas and when the day ends the best I have done was fed my children something -cereal? a hot dog?- and kept them alive.


Prior to becoming a momma, I had a slew of jobs including server, barista, TSS worker, Overseer, Au-pair, sales woman. Upon first glance, they seem to fall into two categories:
Server,
Barista,
Sales...these are all selling and serving positions.


TSS worker,
Overseer,
Au-Pair...these are all interpersonal positions wherein I work with people’s life, directly.

I don't think for one moment that any of these positions was a waste.    

                                                  
Image result for Penn State
My very first job was summer work at Penn State with a summer program.


   So my ·dear [beloved] brothers and sisters, stand strong. 
  Do not let anything move you. 
   Always ·give yourselves fully to [excel in] the work of the Lord, 
  because you know that your work in the Lord is ·never wasted 
[not useless/in vain]
1 Corinthians 15: 57-58 

 EXB version, (emphs mine)

Nothing is wasted. 

If you find yourself in a season where you are not where you desire to be, be encouraged. In those situations, you are still called to be faithful with your work- working as for the Lord and not for men. 

Be Brave: 
      Do something at your job today that takes a little courage. 
     Suggest a new idea. Try something creative. 
      Speak to someone you usually avoid. 

                       

No comments:

Post a Comment