Sunday, December 2, 2018

Work Hard, Day 40: 100 Days to Brave (Advent, Day 2)

Three. The number of residential settings I have worked in with (young) women, all ranging between 12-18, and then 18-early twenties.
The first was while at the LA Dream Center, where I worked full time with the DCTD (Dream Center Teen Discipleship) and at one point co-lived in the house with the girls. Mostly, I loved this job! Although it was mentally and emotionally draining at times, it was also highly rewarding and one of the best seasons I have ever known.
The third was at a residential lock-down with adult women. Many were there as a means to stay out of jail and learn a trade.  I really didn't enjoy this job. At. all.

The two main differences between the two settings were that A) the first was in a Christian environment, so the natural bend was a  lot of encouragement, grace, and high hopes for the residents. The other was a secular environment and the environment was dark and intimidating. B) the first was a home for young girls, some prepubescent. They were young enough to receive affection and hope from the older staff and the thought of juvenile detention was often scary enough to motivate one to make better choices. The second location was with adults, some who had already spent time in jail. Many weren't phased by kind staff or high expectations, this was a means to getting out and living their lives.

The residential setting I worked in between, St. Micheal's, was with teenage girls and I worked there third shift. Mostly, my job description was to keep the girls safe while they slept, sort and file papers, medication, and some other office work. And, oh yeah, to stay awake. 

To keep myself alert, I escaped into the first two seasons of Grey's Anatomy (O.M.Goodness- Izzie and Denny??? Cried my eyes out!!), read the Twilight series, and exercised in the living room. I also made my MySpace account very *colorful* and spent hours upon hours looking up old friends.


Image result for tom anderson, myspace
Tom Anderson, my everyone's first *friend* on MySpace
...the good ole' days

Remember, young children, this was before Facebook was the norm and everyone knew everything about everyone else all the time, every day, always. This was new! Exciting!
Until I spoke with my dad.
And he reminded me that I was there performing a J.O.B.

What he meant was, MySpace and Grey's Anatomy should not have been the highlights of my evening, finding legitimate work to do- that was what I was there for. 

And he was right.

Over the time I worked at St. Micheal's, I would purpose to clean curtains, sort extra bedding, rearrange a room, clean-out a cabinet, prepare breakfast as a surprise for the residents. It was anything I could think of to do so as to be a good worker.

Work Hard. 
This is Annie's devotional for today.

You gain a lot when you work really hard. You gain respect. You get to keep your job. You gain a good reputation. It isn't always fun, but it's who you want to be, isn't it? Don't you want to be a person who is known for working hard? 

Yes, Annie, I do. 

Be Brave: 
Work hard today, friend. Seriously. 
Give more than you have, and see what comes from it.  


   Advent, Day 2:


The Raven (in the tree)

No comments:

Post a Comment