Monday, September 9, 2019

Carry Each Other's Burdens, Day 22: The Better Mom, Devotional

There is a woman with glasses and a loud laugh who welcomes the children into the school my youngest attends. I met her two years ago when my middle son was in Preschool, and we became friends pretty quickly: bonding over a water pitcher which had been re-gifted three times and become a running joke.

For whatever reason, she decided she liked me enough to want to be my friend and very kindly reached out to me, offering a safe play to talk, and when need be... to vent.
  
Although I thought she was very nice, I was at first hesitant because it is difficult to let my guard down, yet again. I have spoken to so many therapists and well-meaning friends and family, that I didn't especially like the idea of telling yet another person about how difficult this life can often times be or the fact that some days I do not like myself.

I didn't especially like the offer
...until I needed it. 

I think we sat and talked as friends one or twice -I sure hope so- before I took her up on her offer to cry and curse and do whatever I needed to do with her as a soundboard.

To this day, I have said some pretty miserable things in her presence.

Here's the point, Ruth shares that:
"We are all called to 'carry one another's burdens'".
We all need friends like that, but we also need to be friends like that.

When dear friends of mine have lost loved ones, I tried to be there: literally, or with them on the phone. I have tried to be the friend I desire desperately to have.

When friends are depressed -as I know the feeling too well- I have encouraged them to partner with me for accountability. A simple, "How are you today? Be honest", via a text message every other day can be deeply meaningful.

And when other friends have had babies, book releases, or moved, I have always wanted to be there, telling every single one of them how perfect their baby is, how fantastic their book is, or how I hope we stay in touch, to which I follow up with a random postcard after the move.

Carrying one another looks like being there. 
Being present. Being willing.

So many times I think people say what they hope they mean 
(let's keep in touch; I'll pray for you; we should get together sometime), 
but the follow-through is rancid. 

I am also not terribly good at this, but I try.
I hope you try, too.

What would it look like if we each sent a postcard, made a phone call, or just showed up with an assortment of Peonies for the people in our lives?
How could a simple gesture of kindness present someone from needing to be carried, because the simple act was enough to sustain? Enough to continue?

I love the thought of carrying something together- so that no one does this life alone.



Photo by Peter Bucks on Unsplash
 When I googled "peonies" I saw such a gorgeous assortment of photos. If you click here, you can see what I mean. Thank you Peter Bucks, for allowing me to use your photo- it is splendid!

-gomommyblogger


 

No comments:

Post a Comment