Thursday, February 4, 2016

Lessons from Hinds Feet (Book Review)

It took me a good, long time to read this book, Hinds Feet on High Places. I read it once before (about a decade ago) and put it on my 2015 book list- I had hoped the accountability to you would get me through it.
Probably, it did.
In truth, I wanted to put it aside. I wanted to just stop and call defeat and be done with it.
Because it didn't read like a style I enjoy...because I couldn't quite "get into it".
But I continued in part out of determination, and in part out of stubbornness.
Actually, I think it was all God's grace.  


And I finished the book. And I am so glad I did.
Whether or not you have ever read the book, or plan on reading it, I thought there were some accounts much too wonderful to forget and so, requiring documentation. So I copied them down here. Enjoy:

“The look the Shepherd turned on her was very beautiful. “Nothing my Father and I have made is ever wasted,” he said quietly, “and the little wild flowers have a wonderful lesson to teach. They offer themselves so sweetly and confidently and willingly, even if it seems that there is no one to appreciate them. Just as though they sang a joyous little song to themselves, that it is so happy to love, even though one is not loved in return. (page...)



...I begin to think, my Lord, You purposefully allow us to be brought into contact with the bad and evil things that You want changed. Perhaps that is the very reason why we are here int his world, where sin and sorrow and suffering and evil abound, so that we may let You teach us so to react to them, that out of them we can create lovely qualities to live forever. That is the only really satisfactory way of dealing with evil, not simply binding it so that it cannot work harm, but whenever possible overcoming it with good. (209)


...once over the edge, the waters were like winged things, alive with joy, so utterly abandoned to the ecstasy of giving themselves that she could almost have supposed that she was looking at a host of angels floating down on rainbow wings, singing with rapture as they went.
She gazed and gazed, then said. 'it looks as though they think it is the loveliest movement in all the world, as though to cast oneself down is to abandon oneself to ecstasy and joy indescribable.' (161)


..you had better become a singer, He said, smiling. 'Then you won't hear what they say to you'" (142)

enjoy-


No comments:

Post a Comment