Monday, March 25, 2019

Birthday Cake, Sickness, and Hellman's Chicken

Thatcher is now four years old. He is my youngest, which is blowing my mind. In part it is because he is still so baby-like in appearance and speech. He just feels young to me. It makes me wonder if this is a condition, the kind that forces parents to always see their youngest as a baby, even when he is a 41-year old man.
I asked my mother-in-love if she views Big Strong Man as the adult that he is, or if he is still a child to her. "He will always be my baby", she had told me.

There were birthday pancakes with cool whip and sprinkles: purple and yellow, for no other reason than that is what we had on hand and Thatcher wanted them both.

We sang Happy Birthday and he blew out his number four candle. It was green, not orange, which is his favorite. Orange is my favorite [color], he reminds us all day, every day. When we were birthday shopping, just he and I, he asked me if we could get the number eight candle instead. Eight was orange.

The night before, I decorated the house and invited him into the dining room for a "sneak peek". He giggled and "ohh"  and "aww"-ed and came back in three more times, for three separate "sneak peeks".  This delighted me because, well, innocence. And preciousness. And simple pleasures

He chose dinosaurs as his theme. This was fine with me because, dang!, Target has the cutest dinosaur decor

I was hoping for sharks. He is really into sharks right now and that seemed appropriate. Dinosaurs seem two years ago, and Mickey Mouse was last year. But Party City offered us no sharks and only scary dinos., so we drove over to Target and were pleasantly surprised.

RAWR, says his dinosaur banner. It has orange and green dinosaurs: his favorite color and the color of his birthday candle.



Demitri's Star Wars banner is also up. It is a birthday greeting with Chewy, Vader, and R2D2.  And the birthday circles, too. I would have hung Zeplin's Ninjago banner, but a friend came to his last party and really liked it, so we gave it away.

All this to say that we have a new birthday tradition, and it looks like this: jut keep adding more birthday banners and making the decorating a little more festive. 

The week before Little Buddy's birthday I woke-up sick. The kind of sick that seems to come out of nowhere. This stank royally because I was out for almost the entire week, cancelling plans and getting discouraged. Friday evening, Demetri and I had our mommy-son date and it was so wonderful, then I awoke, feeling nauseous and with a throbbing head. Saturday was a bust.
Sunday was better, and I forced myself to rest because it was B.S.M. and my date night. We had a wonderful time, but his ice skate was rubbing his foot the wrong way and I kept fighting off stomach cramping.
I was neither menstruating nor am I pregnant, just oddball stomach issues and being sick. 

Monday was better and I cleaned the house like a pro- even scrubbing the soap scum off of the tub and shower. But I paid for it come Tuesday and I was just out the entire week: sick or exhausted, taking turns. Graciously, I was well enough to join my family for free, first-day-of-Spring ice cream from Dairy Queen. That is always a win.

Friday evening we even went out to a stinky hot dog joint and sat at the counter like we were circa 1952.
 
 

Then Thatcher's birthday came and it was wonderful, albeit, some parts were hard. We had guests over that evening, not so much as a party, but rather a dinner-date turned-party. I prepared Hellman's Chicken and ate leftovers for both lunch and dinner the next day. We sang Happy Birthday to him and he blew out his green number four candle for the second time that day, only this time it sat on top of an orange creamsicle ice cream cake, because, orange is his favorite!

Big Brothers= Big Helpers

Yesterday Zeplin, Demetri, and myself went for a hike with our Cub Scout Pack. We hiked for two miles and celebrated with ice cream. Before the sweets, however, we picked-up Thatcher so he could join us. He chose orange ice cream with sprinkles. This is called birthday week. 



                                         

                                        



Birthday Boy!!

All the best,
      
 

No comments:

Post a Comment