Friday, September 6, 2019

My Boys and Their Scars

My sons are scab pickers. 
Two of the three collect mosquito bites like Pokemon cards,
so they have much to pick at.
And this drives me nuts because A) it is gross, B) there is often
times blood, and C) scars.

Thatcher, 4, is too young to really understand, so when I remind
him to stop picking so that he does not get scars, he looks me
dead-on and tells me with honest emphasis, "I like scars, mommy".

I'm still trying to sway him.

We go through a lot of band aids in our home.
For some time I decided only to buy boring brown, because
they are not fun and there is no novelty there.
My theory was boring=untouchable.

But then I remembered that they are children, and children think
band aids are stickers and pride themselves on showcasing them.
Sometimes we wear band aids for fashion, or an actual injury,
mostly we wear them for fun.

                       **LET THEM BE LITTLE.**

In other words, I decided fun band aids were not a bad thing
and I restocked out medicine cabinet.

All three sons can reach in there, and I am forever finding the
plastic backs of band aids lingering around my bathroom sink,
rendered useless.

All this to say, I picked a scab today.

I know, I know, the hypocrisy.


I had this terrible bite on my leg which was huge and gross.
It is a few weeks old now, and today I noticed that it looked like
it was about to fall off.
You know? The seamlessly attached scab, the one begging for just 
a little help to let go and disappear, revealing an unscabbed piece of 
flesh below it?

You know this type, so do I.
And I expected it.

I got blood instead.
Boo.

The best part of all of this is that my choices today were bright colors
or Transformers. -I went with the latter.


Image result for transformer, toy

Life with children is always a learning process. (No, we don't like scars)
Not everything has to be a fight. (Brown band aids versus fun ones) 
And not everything is black and white (the loosely-hanging, flirt of a scab)
Plus, 36-year old moms wearing Transformers band aids are kinda cool
anyway-at least on this side of the computer screen.

-gomommyblogger



No comments:

Post a Comment