Wednesday, April 6, 2022

Finding My Mojo on April Fools

It's been a solid two months since I began subbing in Middle School and it's been...tricky. For anyone who actually escaped Middle School unscathed as a teen, well.... I both marvel at your life and roll my eyes in your general direction. It is not for the weak at heart, and yet, somehow we survive it and we look back and realize that we are strong people. 

At 8 pm Thursday, I realized that tomorrow was April Fool's Day and I found myself binging YouTube videos on fun, school pranks. Something entertaining, something I could involve students in, and something to make the day a little more memorable. Without a car to drive, and nighty-night approaching, I knew I was resigned to whatever I could find around my house and the blessings of media and creativity. -This is how I found myself texting myself ideas before falling asleep so that I would have a plan come morning.

Glasses- check. 
Candy Canes and wrapping paper- check. 
Googly Eyes- check. 

Because I substitute teach, I really had no idea where I would be placed. At this point in the game I have met most of the students and know a good portion by name, dating status, and whatever sport they play or characters they spend class time drawing. Knowing students names and interests is kind of a big deal- for them and for me as well. 




Today I spent the day with my friends in the HSC -highly structured classroom- and had a blast! This group of five includes one student who is completely blind and three students who are non-verbal, amongst other traits. Looking back, this was quite possibly THE BEST group to work with today. 

After working through folding towels and showing off with his knowledge of the days of the week, my friend K and I delivered some candy canes to teachers. K is blind and uses a walking stick to navigate his way through our school. Early this morning, he wanted to go for a walk and on this first of April, we walked together in the fresh, freezing cold, air- amongst snow flurries and budding flowers. 

We eventually thawed out once back inside, and, after wrapping the candy canes in Christmas wrapping paper, K and I set off to prank some teachers.
He would knock and stand back and then I would yell WE WISH YOU A MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR as we passed out candy decorated in reindeer wrapping paper.

It was a blast! 

Because K is a member of our HSC program, his interactions with many of the staff and students on the main floor are limited. 
Our first stop was at Mrs. W's class and from Mrs. W, we asked for a suggestion and took off for the next teacher- it was such fun! To see this young man wearing a HUGE smile on his face over something so relatively simple was my favorite part!

After a while, another student and I took off on a googly-eyed adventure. She was really excited and kept laughing spontaneously while we pranked some teachers. So simple and yet incredible, we walked around the school, eye-balling the bathroom signs and any buffalo we could find.  Many teachers returned to their classrooms finding googly eyes on pictures -And each prank with a sticky note wishing the recipient a Happy April Fools!

It was a simple day, something I wish I could have told myself last night when I was stress-binging and prowling my house looking for ideas. But I woke up this morning and put my hair in floppy pigtail buns then took the lenses out of a polka-dotted pair of sunglasses and walked into school determined to have a fun day- and I did!

I understand that none of this is profound. Both pranks were creatively altered from something some else thought of- I just made them my own. But the day was a series of letting people know they were seen- and for a student who has never seen a day in his life, this day was entirely profound. 

I haven't had my mojo for a while now. It's at a low in most areas of my life currently and it bothers me. I just feel...off. But this. This was a great day and when you cannot seem to find your mojo, you count your wins quicker and you celebrate them longer. 
-Any fool can understand that! 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment