Saturday, November 28, 2020

Dog Poop and Turkey Giblets ( My life in a Hazmat Suit- Thanksgiving 2020)

I am dog-sitting. 

This has proven to be a TE-RI-BLE idea in the past and as a reminder, Big Strong Man asked me to ALWAYS confirm with him before agreeing to dog-sit again. 

We are like Ralphie versus the Flat Tire when it comes to dog-sitting.



I only agreed because I didn't feel like I had much of a choice, because saying no is so difficult and my neighbors are nice and the only people who have befriended us and I know that they really need the help. All the reasons. 

Like us, they are Indiana-Transplants dreaming of returning to their native, Alabama. Their dog, affectionately named Bama, is a beautiful Brittany Spaniel and Red-Nose Pit mix. She is also really well behaved, so watching over her isn't misery, just out of my comfort zone. 

Here's the deal: there was the infamous YOUR DOG'S A BRAT incident in North Carolina, and the even more infamous, YOUR DOG ATE YOUR COUCH incident in Pennsylvania which Big Strong Man and I had previously encountered, rendering us, twice bitten, forever shy. 

But this dog is keen to a walk in the park. 

Cartoon girl walking dog in park Stock Vector - 32566274

                                                  123RF

Still...I wear a uniform, my own "Hazmat" suit. This consists of sweat pants and rain boots, all the time. Hey! There is dog poop in that thar' grass and I don't care to step in it! 

If you aren't already aware, fresh dog poo is STINKY!!! Like, oh.my.gracious. And so it was that I was picking up the extra-stinky, semi-liquid kind on Thanksgiving morning. Joy to the world. 

Prior to the honey mustard poop glob I awoke nice and early to get a head's up on that sweet potato casserole and prep the turkey. 

The turkey....

Five years ago (#blessed) I was pregnant with my third and we were having friends over for Thanksgiving. It was my first live encounter with Leah and her two children, but I had informally met her many years prior when her mother and I worked together at the Los Angeles Dream Center. I loved her mother dearly -still do!- and so it was a natural extension to have Leah over when a move took her far from her family but close to mine. 

That morning I cleaned, stuffed, and baked a turkey. All. By Myself. #braggingrights

Black woman making turkey for thanksgiving. PNG - JPG and vector EPS file formats (infinitely scalable). Image isolated on transparent background.

                                                             friendlystock.com

Flash-forward to Thanksgiving 2020 and it was Big Strong Man's turn to boss that bird. And he did. Although he was squirmy, and I could see in his tightly pursed lips that he was wishing to God in Heaven that I would volunteer to take over -which I did not- he did it- he prepped our turkey!

Stuffing Turkey GIF - StuffingTurkey Mrbean Bean GIFs

                                                                                                 tenor.com

In this head-shaking year of 2020, there were many incredible moments to be had. Let us not forget the important ones, like the love of our teachers and healthcare professionals, let us remember the down time, like the family dinners around the table and finally painting that wall, and let us also not be quick to forget the small victories we had. I cleaned dog poo. Richie made Thanksgiving turkey. 

#takethat2020 #thisis2020 #Thanksgiving




   

 


No comments:

Post a Comment