Friday, January 22, 2021

Reading, Listening, and Eating Them Whole (4th quarter book list)

 I have always wanted to track the books I have read. As a young adult I remember thinking that I should make a record of every book I ever read and then before I jotted even one book down, I gave up, knowing I would never remember them all. The quest from the path behind me may have been out of the question, but that didn't mean I couldn't start somewhere. 

During 2020 I didn't set any numerical book goals, but I did have a goal of actually reading through my bookshelf. That didn't happen.... I did, however read-a lot. And I listened to many audio books as well, making this year a good one to beat for next year. 2021...I see you. 

All of this to say, as 2020 came to an end, I have some great books to share. Great being an understatement. These books have ranged from interesting and good to incredible and beyond. In no particular order, enjoy. 


Lots of memoirs this time around. These are among my favorite style of writing and the style I most often dream of writing. 

Jessica Simpson's, Open Book

https://bookmarkedbya.com/2020/05/19/open-book-jessica-simpson/

bookmarkedbya.com

Um, yes. Although I am neither a Jessica-Lover nor a Jessica-Naysayer seeing this book appear in my CloudLibrary recommendations I was all too quick to snag a copy and jump in. Jessica's memoir is wonderfully fascinating...part Hollywood gossip, part little girl lost and found. I particularly recommend this in audio form, as Jessica's emotional storytelling only makes the book that much more engaging.

Everything you ever wished to know about Jessica's upbringing, her love of Jesus, and how she became the Jessica Simpson Powerhouse we all know is shared in this emotional retelling. Beginning with her adolescence including times of abuse and the loss of a loved one; The teenage competition within the walls of the Mickey Mouse Club which would take decades to shake; the infamous marriage she shared with Nick Lachey; and the powerhouse mega-star Jessica would become.

I was as interested in the details as I was invested in knocking down any subconscious, teenage-jealousy I may have had (she is famous and gorgeous, come on now), and just appreciating her for inviting us in to her truths. I thought the memoir was stellar!

  

Busy Phillip's This Will Only Hurt A Little 

Book Cover - This Will Only Hurt a Little
https://colettemariemurphy.com/

Another memoir with such great story-telling that I walked away rooting the girl on and wanting to binge watch Freaks and Geeks. This one is filled with curse words and obscene...well, everything

Busy's childhood is equal parts All-American-90's-Skater-Girl-Wannabe and cry-your-eyes-out heartbreaking. When she is outside her friend's door just begging to come in I lost it, crying in the Aldi's parking lot. Later, Barbie Busy begins her life in Hollywood and, honestly, until she starts getting into politics, I am all for the girl! She's great, she's funny, she's talented, and she's got cojones! (Politics. *sigh* It's cool, have your politics, Busy. Spoiler Alert: She's All Hollywood, so, there's that...)    

Demi Moore's Inside Out

Book Review: Inside Out by Demi Moore

redconfidential.com

Whatever I expected when I started Inside Out, it wasn't this. Truly, my foreknowledge of Demi (pronounced, Di-Me) went something like this: St. Elmo's Fire was a movie my mom loves, she shows her boobs in Striptease, and she married Ashton Kutcher who was so much younger than she and that was a thing for awhile. All this to say, I knew very little

Demi's life is pretty private- the girl lives in Idaho for crying out loud! She raised her daughters there and has called the town of Hailey her home for decades. In addition to her quite life, Demi comes across as a much gentler, softer person that that which I would have ever guessed.   

Okay, so here's the scoop. There is Hollywood gossip (notice a running theme here?) and there is background information to Demi's childhood. Demi takes the reader from her birth through present day and -I promise- if you were not a huge fan coming in, you will be by the time you reach the end. Although many of her films are not to my taste (I know about her boobs but don't need to see them), I will still chill out to St. Elmo's Fire and watch "Jules" with new eyes knowing where Demi had come from and where she was at this point in her life. 

Well done, DiMe

----

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, by Rebecca Skloot.  

piedmontforum.com

This was quite an interesting read. Having no forknowledge of Henrietta Lacks and having little understanding of the medial field and the schooling within, this would not have been a book I would have likely picked up for myself. That written, it was recommended to my by my reader-friend Kelly, and it did not disappoint

Henrietta's story will fascinate you for sure! There is so much going on in present day life because of this woman's cells- taken from her body over 69 years ago! I fear I will do it little justice to try an explain much other than, author Rebecca Skloot did a fabulous job of turning an interest of hers (what is HeLo?) and outlining a non-fiction story of how one woman, Henrietta, unknowingly became immortal as her cells were the first ever to be found to live on and multiply outside of her body- indefinitely. 

Outside of Henretta specifically ,the story follows the children, now grown adults, of Henreitta and how these cells have felt like a blessing and a curse to them for decades. 

Finally, the reader experiences some humor and lots of tears as the longevity and determination of Skloot allows the Lacks children to experience understanding, breakthroughs, and even redemption. This story is far from over however, as the uncovering of the HeLo cells origin and the publication of this book only further sheds light on the mistreatment of the Lacks family.    

Choosing Real, by Bekah Jane Pogue

choosing real book



























I confess, I wanted to love this book. I thought it would minister to me in ways that my heart needed when, after first moving to Indiana, I walked through some depression. Although a good book for what it was, I did not find it to be incredible, nor did it minister to me in great ways. 

Here, author Bekah Jane Pogue shares stories about her life and fumblings. A excerpt from the book:
When I dismiss the way God shows up in the average, I dismiss how much He longs to come alongside the unremarkable minutes making up today. ...What's more important, getting through it or living it? Page 183
 
Brave Love, written by Lisa Leonard


This book caught me by surprise because, knowing just a little about Lisa, I assumed I knew the premise of this book before opening it. To know Lisa is to know, amongst other things, that she A) owns a jewelry business (lisaleonard.com) and B), has two children, one with special needs.   
Lisa's story interested me because I assumed that Brave Love looked like loving people who were different from us. Or maybe the Brave Love was putting yourself out there. Instead, what Lisa shares is that Brave Love is Loving Yourself. 
This is a good read, taking the reader through seasons of Lisa's life, and walking with Lisa through the emotions we often hide, for fear of sharing them with others. 
I particularly appreciated Lisa's honesty regarding how she first felt to have a child with special needs, and how she struggled within her marriage. 

Tsh Oxenreider's Notes From a Blue Bike 


Since first reading Tsh's, At Home in the World, awhile back, I have had my eyes on her works and was finally given the opportunity to read Notes
Tsh's life's experiences are so interesting and, as a reader, I found myself more than once wondering how she was able to experience so much. If you enjoy travel and reflection, this is a good book for you to read. 
Following Tsh from the States to Kosovo, the book is a whirlwind of...well...idk. She speaks a lot about eating organically and living a more simple life. She writes about home-schooling and public-schooling. She writes about wanting a dryer and than preferring to allow her clothes to dry by sun. 
I didn't love the book. I did think it felt like a bunch of small essays thrown into a book. I also felt like the standard she lives up to for herself is not really something I strive towards, so I was lost through large portions of this book.  




Um, Fantastic! Really, everything I have read of Bobs has been incredible. Everybody Always is a well articulated, life-well-lived, book which cannot help but to leave the reader better off. It encourages and it awes, and you will both cry and laugh your way through this easy read. 
Bob is one of the most fascinating people. Really. In Everybody Always, he details how he came to befriend (I think I can say that) a Witch Doctor, and even more, creatively figured out a way to minister to a population of them!
Here, multiple stories are shared of Bob living his life with gusto and zeal (having his "office" on Tom Sawyer Island, for instance), and these stories leave the reader dreaming about what these grand and amazing gestures can look like in their own lives.  
Maybe we cannot all fly international and we don't all own private lodges, but we meet people daily and experience life where we are. Bob's book is a reminder to live well where we are, and to bring others along- even those we might not naturally gravitate towards. 

    
Kelly Corrigan's, Lift







news.hamlethub.com

Another favorite author of mine. I LOVE Kelly's writing. Love. Lift is a short story sharing little snapshots of Kelly's life and her discerning through them. Kelly writes like a dream. cliché? Yeah, probably, but I imagine Kelly reading that and smirking and I imagine Greeny reading that and nodding in fierce agreement. Kelly is a FANTASTIC author! Everything she writes is brilliant. Brilliant writing, storytelling, and just enough emotion before she inserts a curse word. Perfection in so many ways.

Angry Conversations with God: A Snarky But Authentic Spiritual Memoir,      

by Susan Issacs

 


OK. I Heart this! Really. Susan is brilliant in that her writing is so spot-on and honest that one feels for her and themselves simultaneously because, yep, we've all been there!  The books claims "snarky but authentic" and that description is exact! Susan had me laughing, near tears, and everything in between. Perfect drama meets suspense. As a Christian female, I felt as though Susan and I bonded through some mutual trauma- that of trying so desperately to do the "right thing" and the "godly thing" and losing ourselves in the processes. Graciously there is redemption woven throughout the story so that the Angry Conversations Susan had with God are not only personal and yet relatable, but also healthy and real. Susan, thank you for writing so much truth and doing us all a great service.




The Things We Cannot Say - Book Review - Incredible Opinions


Oh my, what a great piece of storytelling! From start to finish it is so easy to love the characters, and engage quickly with their lives. Following both Alina, a young girl living in Poland during World War II, and her granddaughter Alice, the story flips between the two women weaving a story of mystery and horror, as well as redemption and grace. This story is so beautifully written. Kelly is gifted with creativity and remarkable ways of holding the reader's attention not only as they read, but long after.  




My Lovely Wife in the Psych Ward is a well written book which, interestingly enough, was not written by a professional author, but rather the man who lived through the ordeal. Mark's great retelling and all the details he brings to the forefront showcase not only his Lovely Wife in the Psych Ward, but his great love for her through it all. Dealing with mental health and fits ranging from walking for hours back and forth in a back yard to suicidal thoughts and idealization, this story sheds so much light on stereo-types surrounding mental health (she was fine, until she was not- with little clues as to a foreseeable issue), the will to live, and the strength to live well and live with hope in the midst of real pain. This book does not end with a bow on top. It is a memoir wherein only the true experiences, dreams, and setbacks are written. It is raw and real. A great read for anyone interested in helping others with, or learning more for yourself, concerning mental health.      

Your Second Act, Patricia Heaton


Your Second Act: Inspiring Stories of Reinvention

Ah, Patricia, I wanted to love this. You, I love you. This book...not so much. If you are looking for a book of feel-good stories and inspiration, check this one out. If you are hoping to hear Patricia's brand of feel-good stories and inspiration, this isn't it. The majority of the book are short stories written by others, submitted to Patricia, and then followed by a short interview from her. 


CinderGirl: My Journey Out of the Ashes to a Life of Hope

Sharing her story of childhood abuse and endurance, Christina writes of what is looks like to have something inside of you that allows you to keep getting up, fighting, and thriving, even when everything around you wants you to back-off, cringe, and cry. Christina writes with such honesty and the heartbreaking reality of what it looks like to be unloved and unwanted and somehow rising up from that to move mountains! This story will shake you, it will be difficult to read and make sense of, and yet you will walk away from it so strong, because the brand of strength Christina has is contagious. Thank you for sharing your story, Christina, well done! 


Photo of 7 Habits Book by Sean Covey

Well written. The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens is a great read for teenagers and adults alike. Taking principles and breaking them down, really, offering the reader such an acute and fantastic springboard from which to live a Highly Effective Life. 

Happy Chaos, Soleil Moon Frye


Ah, not my favorite. Look, it's Punky and that makes it cool from the start, but Punky's (Soleil) storytelling falls short of the mark I think she was really trying to hit. Basically a recounting of childhood memories and modern translations of how she was raised and is now raising her children, it read to me like a book trying to paint everything as rainbows and fluff where I would have much preferred that she share the harder, trickier parts and just let them lie. No need to try and tie a bow on everything.
Liturgy of the Ordinary: Sacred Practices in Everyday Life, written by Tish Harrison Warren 


Liturgy was a quick grab when I saw it on the shelf at my local library. There is something entirely breathtaking and holy about finding sacredness in all the daily things. How brushing teeth can be a holy experience. How walking can be compared to embracing Heaven. How every practice, every rhythm and every moment can be, well, holy. 

Author Tish Harrison Warren takes what is a common, mostly mundane or even boring day and invites the reader to see it through a set of lenses with a focus on more. More of God. More of peace. More of rest. 

I loved the concept of this book with my entire being. The writing was eh-eh, not my favorite, but the story behind the words makes this a well-endorsed piece. Dare I say, a timeless piece?   


That Sounds Fun: The Joys of Being an Amateur, the Power of Falling in Love, and Why You Need a Hobby, by Annie F. Downs

bulldawgillustrated.com


Although not available in hardcover until February 2021, I did get to hear the audio version of That Sounds Fun through a stellar gift from Annie available to anyone who preorders.  

OK, here goes. I love Annie. LOVE. She is one of my favorite voices in books, podcasts, interviews. All. The. Things. This one is not my favorite. I'm sorry, I really am. Here's the deal:

If you are a long-time listener, as am I, you will have likely heard most of these short essays at some point. Still good stories. Still powerful impacts. To someone who already heard them, though, I was disappointed that there wasn't more stories and insights to uncover. It read like a story I had already read previously. 

Also, this is Annie's follow-up to Remember God, and, ya'll I CANNOT TELL YOU ENOUGH how amazing that book is! 

In short: read this book. Support Annie, and know that her hands are gentle and kind. You will learn something new, about her and about yourself. Guaranteed. If you are unfamiliar with Annie's life, you will probably eat this book up because everything will be fresh water to your eyes. For those of us who already know and love her (we love you, Boo!), read it for the timely reminders, laughs, and all the Annie insights you already know and love.   

Beauty in Barren Places: Seeing God's Goodness Here and Now, by Betsy Herman

Beauty in Barren Places: Seeing God’s Goodness Here and Now

So excited to dive into Betsy's book, Beauty in Barren Places! Betsy's love of writing, love of life, and love of God are evident in everything she writes, enabling the reader to feel seen, feel safe, and feel understood. Betsy is a wonderful source of encouragement and her writing is a beautiful reflection of her heart.  Beauty was a great way to end 2020. In a year where we all needed a little extra TLC and a good friend's encouragement, this was the way to go out! Let me say that I love Betsy. Her heart is evident in everything she writes. What takes Beauty above and beyond for me (her favorite of mine yet!) was that I felt constantly that there was redemption spun throughout her story. Not glaze, not ignorance, but redemption. And I wanted more of it.  
OK, that's it. That's my forth quarter book list. Pheew. Writing about them is almost as time-consuming as reading them!
All my best, 



No comments:

Post a Comment