Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Hobby Lobby Fails and Candles at the Works

On a recent trip to Hobby Lobby with my sons (which always makes me a little uneasy because, ya'll, breakables!!!) we made a horrifying discovery. Their 40% off online coupon is no more. 

Death to the coupon. Can a girl get some bugglers?

thank you, good sir! cite

OK, Hobby Lobby, I see what you're doing there. You think that you can lower some prices and call it a day, but I tell you that this is going to hurt you more than it hurts me. People will discover this slide of the hand and they will revolt. Not that I wish you harm, but, you're kinda asking for it. 

This coupon was the mac-daddy of coupons! I knew I could eyeball anything in the store and get it for almost half price, and I was smitten! And you just took it away. Just like that. 

You're going to regret this day, Hobby Lobby. You sure will.

We'll get you, our pretty. You and your little dog, too. 


 With the start of Spring LESS THAN A WEEK AWAY, it is officially time to put away any Eucalyptus Snowfall and Spiced Gingerbread scented candles stowed away on shelves in my house. Time, instead, for Fresh Cut Lilacs (oh, my gracious- delightful!) and Waikiki Beach Coconut

There is something lovely about embracing the changing seasons. I am a unicorn who actually enjoys the winter and yet there is zero deniability that, with the start of spring, happiness abounds!

Bath and Body Works has a ton of great fragrances (not a sponsor). But here's the catch, one can only smell so much before it becomes overwhelm. In light of this, Works stores have canisters filled to the brim with coffee beans so one can "cleanse their nasal palate". 

As I spoke with a friend recently, she shared a gem with me. Something about how we each have a scent of our own. This is neither body odor nor the body wash we use, but a scent that comes from within us. Out of the overflow of us. Really, although we got to talking about scents, it was about our spirits. About what they offer to a Heavenly God. 

This sums up well where I am going with this: 

In Scripture, incense is often associated with prayer. David prayed,  

“May my prayer be set before you like incense” (Psalm 141:2). 

In his vision of heaven, John saw that the elders around the throne

“were holding golden bowls full of incense, 

which are the prayers of God’s people” (Revelation 5:8; cf. 8:3). 

As Zechariah the priest was offering incense in the temple in Luke 1:10, 

“all the assembled worshipers were praying outside.” cite

And the thing that really tied all of this up for me were those coffee beans! Whereas we can handle, perhaps seven scents before overload, God can handle them all! God can handle us all. Isn't that just lovely?

This analogy between candles and prayers really struck me, as I hope it does you. As you go out in search of your new favorite scent and delight in smelling it waft through your house, stop and ask yourself "what aroma am I giving off?" Is it sweet? Or is it foul?

all the best, 



 








No comments:

Post a Comment