Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Do People Change?

January 12, 2014

Do People Change?
My stepfather passed away.
It wasn't sudden, but certainly not expected, either.
Until last week, my Little Men had three grandfathers, now, two.
So it brings a lot of emotion to the surface.
A lot of questions.

I wonder if people change.
I know they do.
But what provokes the change?
Events like death, birth, distance, these each offer that changing potential.
But truly, what brings on lasting change?

I saw people attend the funeral who barely had much to say in the past year-
longer, if I am being honest.
People with really rough exteriors, come out and show compassion.
And I wonder about the life-span of this perceived kindness.
Are we all emotionally-driven?
When emotions are even-keel once again, will this kindness fade away?
Only time will tell.

I suppose that I am really pensive today.
My amazing sister, Nicolette, is a wonderful woman of God.
Her life is lived with integrity and blunt honesty.
She is a truth-teller.
This is one of my favorite character traits of her's.
I wish to be bolder.

Perhaps I will change someday.
Perhaps I will have the bold security and conviction she has to BE REAL.
Perhaps I will not always be a people-pleaser.
In the midst of this all, however, I am a peacemaker.
Jesus tells us that, "blessed are the peacemakers for they will be called the
children of God".
He tells me that.

Matthew 5:3-12, The Beatitudes


I am thankful for my sister, the salt to my pepper, and how we compliment
one another.
Bold, stern truth meets gentle, there-must-be-something-good-to-be-found
peacemaker. 
I hope these character traits of ours do not change.
Only time will tell.

Have you seen change, personal or first-hand?
What gives you hope for real change?

yours, gomommyblogger

No comments:

Post a Comment