Wednesday, June 17, 2015

All Things Baby (Must Haves)


After three babies, these are the items I am Still very thankful to have and highly recommend:
-

For Mommy:
Nursing shirts and bras. If you are nursing, you will quickly loose your mind if you do not make these staples in your wardrobe! Good news is that there are nice clothes available and I found a handful at my local thrift store for cheap!
Belly Bands. THESE ARE AMAZING!!! When I was preggers with Zeplin back in '10, I actually spend $17 on one of these at Target! Yeah, for a thrifty gal like me, that's big money. Here's the thing, these are totally worth it and...wait for it...you can get a knock-off brand at the Dollar Tree for one buck!! -what??!! yeah.
Why the Belly Band, you ask? Well, let me break this down. Chances are your pants will become too small for your belly...maybe your thighs. If the first is exclusive, than you can wear a B.B. over the zipper area of your pants and call it a day- it expands the wear-ability of your pre-preggers clothing.
ANOTHER use is to cover your belly when you are nursing. I wear mine as a "tank tease" (you know, where it looks like you are wearing a Cami under your shirt because you can see the fabric poking out under your shirt?-which is my THIRD USE...) I wear my tank tease and when it is time to nurse, I slide it up to cover my stomach when the nursing cover just isn't pulling its weight.
I suggest you opt for every color available, you will not be disappointed.
Nursing Pads. If you're a nursing mom, you may as well spend a tab more upfront and wash these gems- it just makes sense over disposables.
Maxi Pads. Just have them handy. (And don't try to go all cute unless you have it in for doing the laundry.)

 For Mommy and Baby:
A glider. Ahhhh. These trump rocking chairs for two reasons: 1) they do not move when you, er, move them...if that makes sense. 2) they have a footrest that glides with the chair- it's delightful.
Baby Carrier. Once upon a time I was obsessed with Ergo brand carriers, which are great, but pricey. I suggest you WAIT on this one until you know which style you and baby will both enjoy. If you have a friend who can loan you one to try, do it. Another thought is thrift store/consignment sale/yard sale/e-bay shopping. It's worth the effort it takes to get one.
These are a huge blessing because they promote bonding between baby and parental, they are much more convenient than strollers in some situations, and you can vacuum your living room, breast feed*, and still have one hand available when your toddler throws a bouncy ball your way.
*Not all carriers will enable you to breastfeed, you have to look for that feature specifically.
P.S. as per carriers, I purchased my first carrier when I was pregnant with Zeplin. It cost me five bucks at a thrift store. It has been a safe place for Zep when I would use the petal bikes at the gym (while sitting- do at your own discretion), a fun place for Demitri to relax while I walked through the water toys at our local Sprayground, and once Thatcher is a little bigger, it will undoubtedly be his little haven as well.
This is the actual carrier I own

Nursing Cover. Again, I spent actual money on one of these with baby number one but you can get these real inexpensive at the aforementioned cheaper places to buy things. (highlighted above) These lovelies cover your upper girlie parts while you nurse baby. They make great makeshift blankets and burp clothes too.

For Baby:
Gripe water. Just trust me on this one.
Toddler "leash"/safety harness. (Please, I beg, if you are politically correct and have an issue with this, stop reading. I am non-confrontational and don't want to act like this makes my child a dog- it does not.) Imagine you are anywhere and your Little can get away...scarey. This makes that possibility less likely. (But be prepared for the P.C.police-mommas to rip you a new one.)
Car Seat Cover. Unless you live where cold weather is impossible, i.e. the Dominican Republic, you should have one of these handy. This will cover the open space in front of the car-seat which keeps cool air (and rain, snow, wind) away from baby.
Boogie Wipes. Love them. (Also available at the Dollar Tree!)
Paci Attachment. The clip that connects baby's pacifier to baby's shirt. Genius.

For Nursery:
Baby Monitors. I have a sensor for tracking breathing and a camera to watch Lovie from another room...or right next to me at night when it is to dim to see him in his bassinet. Here are the two I have:
Angel Care Monitoring System and Summer Video Monitor
Although you will spend an arm and a leg on these, I never once had a second thought because SIDS is for real and I may be a little paranoid. 
I recommend a Moses' Basket because they are convenient. Baby falls asleep in basket, you can easily transfer sleeping baby downstairs, asleep. Baby falls asleep in crib and you want baby downstairs, baby will more likely wake if carried in your arms. These are also nice to place INSIDE of baby's crib (when baby can fit in basket) to minimize the space baby has to move around in.
Breathable Bumper!!! I think it is a sin that these are not the norm and that you actually have to buy them separate of most crib sets. Referring back to SIDS (^^) these are a resounding heck yeah for my boys!
Night Light. You would probably like to spy on your little one without waking sweetie up. Get a night light.

Random:
Hand Sanitizer to boot!
Bank Account for baby. Because everyone will begin to donate to baby's college fund before baby is even born and, unless you have the will-power of a tornado, you need it far -FAR- away from mommy and daddy's grip...even us good ones.
Baby Calendar (to record all the firsts).
Lingerie Bag for corralling socks and other small baby items that get lost in the wash, as well as containing bibs and such with Velcro.

**Interested in more? Check out more gomommyblogger baby posts: 

All Things Baby: Actual Important Things New Mommies Should be Spending Time On (Decorating Baby's Room is Actually Not that Important, Mommy)

All Things Baby (Save Your Money, These Things are Crap...and You'll Soon Have Enough of That)

All Things Baby (Reality) 

Mommy Peer-Pressure



No comments:

Post a Comment