Thursday, June 25, 2015

Have I Outgrown the Juniors Department? (Yes, Modesty)

Have I Outgrown the Juniors Department? (Yes, Modesty)

Lately I have been noticing that I am an adult... like, it comes to me in waves.
First it is the paying bills and next the fact that I am a mommy!!!. My most recent revelation was the one where I contemplated the possibility that I may have outgrown the Juniors Department.
Is a 30something, momma legally allowed to shop in the Juniors department...?   

----------
I recently had this conversation with a friend:
me: I like your (tangerine colored, short tunic-type dress shirt) shirt
her: thanks. ...I like it too.
me: *smile*
her: you know, it's funny, but I get so many compliments when I wear clothes that are...nice
me: *smile followed by head-nodding*
her: I actually paid a little bit of money for this one (i.e. it did not come off of the discount rank)
me: it was worth it
her: I agree...I find myself more and more content with less clothing in my closet, but higher quality for what I do own.
me: *wide-eyed* ...yes!

Okay, so the conversation wasn't Shakespeare, but it was eye-opening.

A week before said conversation above, I took a most loved dress out of my closet to wear to church. It is a dark peach color, light fabric, fitted top with flowing bottom, thin brown belt at the waist.  
très féminin.

Thank God I looked at myself in the mirror before I headed downstairs as I either had a growth spurt or I shrunk my beloved dress. sigh

Upon closer inspection, I had outgrown quite a few of my dresses and other articles of clothing as well.

Sometimes, whether by growing physically or growing maturely, we outgrow who we once were.

When a 16 year old girl in my church told me where I could find shorts like hers (because they were sooo stylish!), I found myself having a moment. She is half my age...I don't think I am allowed to wear those kind of shorts anymore.

So I am trading in my wardrobe (slowly but surely) for a more sophisticated, age appropriate, version of who I am.
In the meanwhile, I thought of some tips on how to chose modesty.
 
Something I practice a a 32 year old adult is wearing shorts underneath my skirts. If my skirt (or dress, for that matter) can reveal my panties below, than I wear shorts underneath to prevent embarrassment and aids to protect both the misters and the children: ladies, if you are 32 years old, no one wants to accidentally see your bloomers at church (and, for mommy's or those of you with little people at the ready, this really is a good practice you should adopt).
I like the very short, very tight cotton yoga shorts. These help to eliminate panty lines and keep you modest. If I had a daughter, she would ALWAYS have shorts on under her dresses and skirts.
Another issue many women face is revealing too much below the neckline. Where I need any emphasis to make something out of nothing, many others need little or no emphasis because they have enough to try and cover without drawing additional attention to their ultra-womanly parts.
Woman of the modest world, invest in camis and keep the plunging neckline on the rack.
And yoga pans in public. I am not all about criticizing someone's comfort, nor condemning someone's body type, I am all about protecting our husbands, sons, brothers, and fathers from some unnecessary curves and the like. Same with words across derrieres...

----
So readers, are any of you still shopping in the Juniors department (like me) and already a 30-something (like me)? What do you think? Have we outgrown it?
Although I still favor the Juniors department selection by far over that of, what am I? a "miss", the "Misses" department, I concede entirely with my tunic-wearing friend above: quality over quantity and yes, modesty!

As I began to look for pictures and quotes to further drive this point home, I found this gem:

            The only real reason you should care about modesty is because God cares
            He’s the real reason to modest, and if He is your reason, then be assured, 
            whatever sacrifices you make are worth it.  The world won’t understand, 
            but we do, because we know He rewards those of faith who seek Him in 
            all things (Hebrews 11:6). 

(See more at: http://downtowndemure.com/2015/01/19/an-open-letter-about-modesty-from-a-brother-in-christ/#sthash.Jk18nv7C.dpuf)
(Underlined emphasis mine.)

And this as well:
                    
        Being a lady, being a mom of boys, and being a lover of Jesus, this appeals to me!! Chivalry and femininity are endearing and magical to my spirit...don't you feel that, too?

What about you?
What tips have you adopted as your own to be a more modest and lovely version of yourself?-



The only real reason you should care about modesty is because God cares.  He’s the real reason to modest, and if He is your reason, then be assured, whatever sacrifices you make are worth it.  The world won’t understand, but we do, because we know He rewards those of faith who seek Him in all things (Hebrews 11:6). - See more at: http://downtowndemure.com/2015/01/19/an-open-letter-about-modesty-from-a-brother-in-christ/#sthash.Jk18nv7C.dpuf

The only real reason you should care about modesty is because God cares.  He’s the real reason to modest, and if He is your reason, then be assured, whatever sacrifices you make are worth it.  The world won’t understand, but we do, because we know He rewards those of faith who seek Him in all things (Hebrews 11:6). - See more at: http://downtowndemure.com/2015/01/19/an-open-letter-about-modesty-from-a-brother-in-christ/#sthash.Jk18nv7C.dpuf







2 comments:

  1. gomommyblogger here: a lovely friend of mine just called to ask where she could purchase said yoga shorts and I wondered if others might be curious as well. I am blessed to have a sister who gives me tons of gorgey clothing (<$10! Score!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have NO IDEA where the remainder of my post got to...here goes (again). Gorgey=gorgeous.
      If you do not have a sister to give you tons of great clothes, you can find yoga shorts at your favorite shops (they are pretty trendy). Mine came from Wal*Mart.

      Delete