Wednesday, February 3, 2016

How to Decorate a Winter Mantle

Something about packing-up all those Christmas decorations gets me feeling blue. Turns out that I am not alone. Perhaps you know this feeling I write about? Well, did you know that there is an actual terminology for this? It's called the "Post-Christmas Blues". (You can read more about combating it here.) So what is a girl (or a boy, maybe you're a boy, no hate) to do?
Enter: decorate a winter mantle

It occurred to me last year that my mantle (and entire house, really) didn't need to bear the shame of being so plain and minimal just because Christmas was over. No! There is actually something to be said about a well-dressed mantle (and home- you can just assume I mean home as well when I write mantle) ALL YEAR LONG! -That's right, I wrote that.

So I turned to Pintrest (oh, how I love thee), and ransacked my crafts to see what I could come up with. Enter: silver and blue

                  Here is my winter mantel...I don't know why this picture won't flip...arggg
                coffee filter snowflakes:  https://www.pinterest.com/heartofwisdom4u/
                    I reused some of the ornaments we had on our Christmas tree, and they looked
                                               beautiful, all shining under the mantle.
                              Cut-out some coffee filter snowflakes and made them float
                   Took advantage of a Hobby Lobby 80% markdown. (Way-cute deer with wool)
                   More ornaments on a jewelry tree, blue and clear wine bottle with white lights
                            A-dor-able winter squirrel from Wal*Mart Christmas clearance
                Remember these? My snow-family made from up-cycled canisters and mod-podge!

I chose to leave some Christmas decorations up during January as well, anything snowman/snow. It helped to keep it looking fun!





and more blue/white/silver/shiney deco:
chain-link


How about you? Any clever Post-Christmas hacks?

No comments:

Post a Comment