Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Attention Servers

My first waitressing job was during my senior year in high school. A friend of mine, Jamie, worked as a server at Pizza Hut and I was inspired to earn a paycheck, so I applied as well. At that time, there was no way to know that I would eventually work as a waitress for 7 companies. Do you want to know which?? Here goes:

Pizza Hut (PA)
Pizza Inn (VA)
Macadoo's (VA)
Margarita Jones (CA)
Pottsville Club (PA)
Friendly's (PA)
Max and Erma's (IN)

(I also worked for KFC, Starbucks, Olde World Cheesecake Company European Coffee House and Bakery, Grandma's restaurant, if you are interested in the number of food-related workplaces I have been associated with.)

                                    photo credit: https://aspiritualvoice.wordpress.com


With all of this experience around food, I have learned a few tricks and am happy to share them with you. If you are or would like to be a server someday, listen carefully!

The first, your look.
Regardless of the dress code and environment of the location, you want to be presentable. In my experience, I have never been thrilled to have a waiter with his/her hair free falling. I am totally skeezed-out with finding stray hairs and when your hair can potentially touch my food- gross!!!
breakdown: tame your hair

Likewise with the being presentable theme, take caution about the way you smell. Yeah, I wrote that. If you smell like a cigarette, I am grossed out. This is particularly important when you work in a smoke-free environment. If you smell like the walking ashtray, people take notice.  If you smell like an ashtray doused with perfume, people notice that, too.
breakdown: keep the smoking to a minimal

The munchies need to be controlled. We all get hungry, I get that. Add on top of that steaks that smell heavenly, coffee with all the works, and Teaberry ice cream and, well, it does nothing to help you from wanting to just eat something!!! While at Macadoo's we were allowed to munch on the pickles if we were hungry. I loved that! Use integrity here, don't eat what is not permitted you, but when you do eat, use discretion. If you wait on a table with whipped cream caked around your lips and chocolate pieces in your teeth, it's gross! I suggest you keep a little mirror handy and always check yourself after eating. This is a life-lesson, not just a better-serving-suggestion.
breakdown: check yourself

And lastly, the reason I am writing this post: be creative! When I worked at Friendly's I would receive restaurant coupons in my mail. As a fun courtesy -and great tipping method!- I would carry the coupons with me in my apron. If a customer ordered something I knew I had a coupon for, I would slip the coupon to them alongside their bill. THAT GESTURE WAS ALWAYS APPRECIATED! And you know what that equals? BIGGER TIPS! I just saved you five bucks, and you will likely have no qualms throwing that extra fiver in my tip! Even if they don't give you a bigger tip -and sometimes they won't- never fear! It is a kind and simple act -no doubt appreciated- and our Heavenly father sees everything.
Other ideas include:
*Bringing a side of cherries with their coke, just for fun! If they will not be charged, it makes a sweet and yummy surprise for them!
*Open straws for your guests but, and this is important, leave the top portion of the wrapper on so that they know they are the first and only one drinking from that cup.
*If a regular comes and is not seated in your section, given that there is ample time and your section is up to speed, say hello. When a guest knows that you care about them -regardless of whether or not you get their tip- that makes people feel important.
*Serve the ladies first: chivalry.
*Offer to bring the children's food out first if the adult's food is taking awhile. While you are at it, volunteer to take the children's orders alongside the drink and appetizer order so that the cooking staff can get right on it. Content children= happy children.
*When the meal is over, offer cups to go (if it is not an additional cost to the guest).
*Write a nice note on the bill. A simple, thank you! with a smiley face and your name goes a long way. 
breakdown: be good to your guests 

I LOVED waiting tables! It is something I believe I was good at and I made bank!!
Do you wait?
Please comment and share some great tips you know of below!

P.S. If you are the guest, BE GOOD TO YOUR SERVER. Regardless of services -which is difficult to hear, I know- but keep this in mind:
If the food is taking too long, it may have little to do with anything the wait-staff can control. Don't shot the middle-man!  
If the order is wrong, go with the flow. It doesn't mean you have to eat something you despise, but letting your server know -kindly- will pretty much guarantee that you don't get a lugie in your coke.
And my favorite, write your server a kind thank you in the backside of the bill. Your did great! Have a wonderful day! THIS IS ALMOST AS GOOD AS A BIG TIP! It is the gift of encouragement and inspiration, friends!

yours,


No comments:

Post a Comment