Saturday, December 9, 2017

Stage II Child Rearing; I Bought Myself a Date Book

Stage II- Life without Baby Dependency

I have found myself saying, on more than one occasion, how I have graduated to "Stage II". This is to say that McFive has exited "Stage I childcare".

Ladies and gentlemen, Elvis has left the building.

It's odd, in truth, because I carried, nursed, and carried again EVERY YEAR for the last 6 years...and now, poof. Thatcher is still a little man, coming in at 2 1/2 years old and a precious 32lbs. BUT, he is forming sentences, is able to "do potty" by himself, and has figured out ways to let us know when he prefers mini blueberry muffins over fruit cups. He is no longer a little baby.

Today I met with a friend in the throws of Stage I. She has a two-year old daughter and a 1-year old son. When I saw her at Carter's, she was on the floor talking to her daughter who was, along with little brother, beginning a crying fit. My friend sighed as she realized that she wasn't going to get the shopping adventure that she wanted. Her double stroller played catch-all to her purse and baby bag, as well as all of the clothing she was able to find before time abruptly became limited.

Parents with young children know this drill well. Anywhere can be a potential mine field. Carter's, church, or -my personal favorite- the grocery store.  This isn't to say that children are horrible and rotten and selfish, it's just that...sometimes...in the midst of tantrums...it is easy to forget that they are cute and precious.

It is easy to want to cry...and abandon our carts of cute Carter's clothing, mint chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream, and pride.

Stage I is a weeding-out process. Will we make it or not? 

Good thing is, most of us do. Congratulations! Then you graduate to Stage II.

This is where my "hug-you-tight-because-I-really-want-to-spank-you-right-now-but-need-to-remember-how-much-I-love-you" death grip was invented. In Stage II.

This is where my 6-year-old bought a $170 carpet out of his savings to replace the one we purchased and put in his room. The one he ruined. This is where our 4-year-old is often found, crying profusely, as he is sent to his room to "cry it out" more than our other two sons combined.

If Stage I "weeds us out", Stage II should come with medallions- proof of survival for children and parents alike.

That day at Carter's I held my friend's daughter, Sadie. The little girl has made a friend of me. *sigh* It bought her momma a few extra moments (and she did not have to forfeit her finds), and it satisfied the "baby gap" for me. That day I was flying solo. And, as exciting as it is to go to the shops without children, I do miss them so much when I am away from them. Holding Sadie was a way I could help the Stage I momma -and remember because I am not too far removed- how welcomed the help is.

In completely unrelated news, I bought a date book and She.Is.Purdy!!!




          Yep, this gem was only $3 at the Dollar General, but look how impressive she is!!
 She's got monthly taps, large boxes for dates and extra pages for note-taking. 


I found my calendar book there last year and kept my eyes peeled for the 2018 editions to be placed on the shelves. #winning


Here is the portion of the book I had reserved for the Belong Tour (R.I.P.) Notice, I LIVE in my date books so I need me plenty of space to plan things...and jot meticulous notes about the plans...and scribble them out when they do not transpire. 



Are you an obsessive note-taker, date-maker, and check-list checker-offer, like me? 





No comments:

Post a Comment