Saturday, January 26, 2019

Jesus Was Brave: Day 96; 100 Days to Brave


Brave Enough
Brave Choices Always Have Ripple Effects.

In the 1990's a group of 10 Texan students who were part of a youth group gathered at their school's flag pole before class and prayed. They felt such conviction and met repeatedly, challenging others to do the same.
29 years later, See You at the Pole is an annual movement.

See You at the Pole™ is simply a prayer rally where students meet at the school flagpole before school to lift up their friends, families, teachers, school, and nation to God. See You at the Pole™ is a student-initiated, student-organized, and student-led event. 
-syatp.com

Image result for see you at the pole 2018
althaschool

While in high school, one of my best friends attended syatp. I don't know why I wasn't there, but she was. Someone from our school yearbook committee took her picture and I was so overwhelmingly proud of her when I saw it, black and white, on one of the yearbook pages: she captured a moment in time. A moment which required conviction and bravery. 

On another day, another friend preached to our congregation: the full one, not just the youth. He was my peer, so his being in the "driver's seat" that morning required bravery. His sharing his story required humility. And his crying, "they killed MY Jesus" -mine, like he knew Jesus on a personal basis- it required conviction.

Jesus was brave. It is easy to forget this because He is the Son of God and all, but He is also the Son of Man. When Jesus came to earth, He was fully human, not a superhero. Although the Bible says He could have called the angels to help Him at any point, or just decided that this "earth gig" is "not really for Me", He didn't use any of those powers or abilities. He chose to be entirely human, same as us. He was really brave. 

Image result for see you at the pole
Spiritfm


When Thatcher was just nine months old, I wore him in a baby carrier and drove he, Zeplin, Demitri, and myself and the four of us passed out gifts to the less fortunate in our community.
Full families would come and grateful parents would ask for a gift for each of their children, some food, maybe something small for themselves. One by one we helped to pass out fitting gifts until the multiple trucks full of supplies were depleted.

During our passing out, one of the woman who was there to receive returned to help. After she took a few gifts and bags of food to her own, humble, home, she wrapped her daughter in a similar baby carrier and returned to help the volunteers. No one asked her, it was all her own initiate.
She was kind and she offered us to come, visit with her when it was all said and done.
I didn't want to.

Going with her meant that the plans I had for our day would alter.
It meant that I would have to give each of my children a tub upon returning home because her house seemed dirty to me. It meant that I would have to pretend not to smell the scent of urine which was coming off of her couch.

When I asked the director of the outreach about her conditions I learned that it was not unlikely that she and her family had to take the couch from the trash so that they could have one at all. The urine was likely not even theirs.

I didn't want to go with her. I didn't feel comfortable, clean, or humble. I just wanted to return home, where it was clean, comfortable, and the smell was pleasant.

Jesus chose to live here. 
He chose to smell the urine. 
To see the need. 
That, my friends, is very brave. 

Image result for see you at the pole
Urban Youth Workers Institute 

Just like Tim, that Sunday morning at the pulpit crying, "My Jesus", I find myself in awe of who He is all over again.
Jesus left comfortable, clean, perfect Heaven, and He came to us. 
He didn't complain.

Jesus took on our sins, felt the weight of our pain, endured our cursing.
And He didn't complain.

Jesus loved without limitations. He invited Himself into the homes of the outcasts, He befriended the lowly, He touched the unhealthy.
And He didn't complain. 

He saw friends marry, He saw people succeed in ventures, He knew He wasn't what most people (anyone?) was looking for. He was entirely human, remember, so it would have been natural for Him to have felt remorse for what could be/would never be.
And He didn't complain.

He went to the cross. Made to carry it, but not before being beaten to near death. He was spat on, He was mocked, He was cursed. He was hung on a cross where people jeered at Him, taunted Him with vinegar, flung hurtful smears at Him. He was stabbed.
And He didn't complain.

Friends, I complain. When there are never enough hours in the day, when my husband doesn't do something the way I would like, when my children don't listen the first time. When I have to prepare a meal again, when I over commit myself and then don't have time to breath.
It takes courage not to complain. 

The Texan students who began the SYATP movement? They could have complained, maybe some of them did. But at the end of the day they decided to meet, to pray and seek God. To pray for their schools, their leadership, their futures. To pray for the Lord's favor and grace, forgiveness and power to fall upon their schools.
And they were brave.

Be Brave: 
Thank Jesus for all the courage He showed 
in all the Bible stories you have read about Him. Image result for see you at the pole

Friends, See You at the Pole meets officially every 4th Wednesday in September. I wrote it in my calendar: September 25th. I hope you will join me, and millions of others, as we meet and pray. ADULTS: Please make plans to meet at your local Courthouse or place of worship. Students ALONE and specific, invited adults, are allowed on school property for See You at the Pole. For more information, please read all the specifics at syatp.com
      










No comments:

Post a Comment