Sunday, January 6, 2019

Words Can Heal: Day 76; 100 Days to Brave (REST Day 6)

Godly encounters.
I'll call them "Godly" because they're good and kind, enjoyable and life-giving.
These are those encounters which leave you better than they found you
- even if you think the "previous you" was just fine.

Today an elderly gentleman at church walked by me and stopped long enough to tell me I was pretty.
Just like that.
He kept walking, barely stopping to acknowledge me, which made me embarrassed, wondering if his compliment was meant for someone else. It was just that, for one second, he looked me straight-on and spoke. Then walked away, leaving me better than he found me.

At the grocery store tonight, two older men, not elderly, but much older than I, they made small-talk with me as we all waited in line. I am fairly confident that they were homosexual, which I explain to you so that you understand that I for no second thought that either man was trying to hit on me.
One asked if I was a [college] student.
No sir, I responded, taken-aback.
In my mind, a college student would be much younger, early twenties. At least, that was me... once upon a time.
As if my "no" wasn't enough for my heart -which was getting flustered- I began stuttering and stammering around all, "you thought I could be a college student? Really? Heavens, no! That was so long ago!My elderly side-ego was all a-flutter. 
Maybe they were humoring me, but they went on to tell me I was so youthful looking and could pass as a college student and I was Really.Excited.

I'm not writing this to toot my own horn (toot-toot!), but because it goes along perfectly with Annie's devotion for today.
Once upon a time she saw some silly teenage boy boy write some silly note and Annie knew -just KNEW- that somehow this note was about her. Long story short, something nasty was written about her and she realized in that moment how much words can hurt.

Image result for speak love
Our girl, Annie F. Downs book: Speak Love

The Bible tells us that,"the words of the reckless pierce like swords, but the tongue of the wise brings healing."

Annie tells us that, "We have two options when we use our words: we can build or we can destroy."

For many years, my sons and I attended BSF (Bible Study Fellowship). While there, the children's helpers would hold the Bible open and allow each child to place his or her hand on the Bible and recite the following: THIS is the True Word of God."
Although I had heard it on occasion, it wasn't until I was sitting on my couch reading one day, when one of my sons approached me and asked, "True Word of God, mom?" (It was more like, "twue ward of Got, ma?") And it clicked with me. 
Because they were listening. And words have power. 

All these years later, I try to remind the students in my Sunday School about the True Word of God while I have them place their hands on the Bible.  And as they leave class, I kneel down, look them straight in the eye, and tell them, 
"You are Important. You are Loved by God. We are Glad that You are Here." 

Because words have power.
And meaning.
Life and death.

RESET Day 6: Creating an Environment to Support Your 2019 Habits

How great is it to have these goals and steps to better make them happen? I am thrilled!!! 
The title of this RESET by muchelleb makes me SO HAPPY!!!

Although I have been working through this reset as at snail's pace (super slooooow), I am doing this weird cross-split thing where I am going to continue to declutter and clean, aka, day 1; step 1, but I am also going to move on to  LIFE ADMIN DAY, plan your 2019, GOAL SETTING (short-term goals), PERSONAL POLICIES, CREATE a VISION BOARD,  shape your space. (Those in all caps are my prioritizes for this week.) Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment