Saturday, January 5, 2019

Sabbath, Day 75: 100 Days to Brave (Reset, Day 5 and Updates on Magnolias and Decor)

This year Big Strong Man and I will celebrate 10 years of marital bliss!

If you know us, or read our story, you will know how the bliss portion of that last sentence has been long fought for. 
But we are so close, now. So close to 10-years, which is both a huge accomplishment, and a huge encouragement.

Back in our first year of marriage, President Barrak Obama had just taken office, I still owned my silver Volkswagen Jetta named "Kingston"  *swoon*, and we were still using MySpace on the regular (neither of us even had a Facebook account).

Back then, we lived in Indiana, home of corn-on-a-stick at the county fair, the recent opening of the  Lucas Oil Stadium, and both Michael Jackson and John Mellencamp.  We lived in a lake community and Lake Reily was in our backyard. As a wedding gift, we were given a little 2-man boat in which I would read and B.S.M. would fish. We affectionately called it the "Honeymoon Yacht".

It was during this time in our early marriage, Big Strong Man still working for the Army, that we were extended the invitation to join a fellow soldier named Josef for service at his Jewish Synagogue. We were thrilled because neither of us had ever been. It was an interesting time as:

*I learned my dress pants would not be appreciated there and was asked directly by Josef to change into a dress or skirt.
*We were separated, Big Strong Man and Josef to the side for men and I, to the side designated for women. We were divided by a half-wall.
*I was the ONLY female in attendance, so when the men began to stand and then sit (and this went on and on), I was utterly confused about whether it was proper to join them or not. I decide that I would join them, just following their lead and hoping for the best.

After the service, we were invited then to join a Jewish family for a traditional Jewish feast. 
Keep in mind, this was no holiday service, just a traditional week, 
but the feast and the care; the heart and the attention to detail; 
Everything was utterly impressive.
Image result for jewish sabbath

The table was huge and beautifully decorated. There was SO.MUCH.FOOD.
I learned that all the food and even the table was prepped the night before. Shabbat (rest), being from nightfall to nightfall (as opposed to the custom, sun-up to sun-down) is a time of rest and worship and because this is taken so seriously, even seemingly small things, like turning on a light switch, is seen as unnecessary work and is given the proverbial "stink-eye". 
-As a matter of fact, I turned the light off after using the restroom and the women in the house were wide-eyed and adamant that I be the one who turned it back on.
In essence, the lights go on Friday evening, and are kept on until Saturday evening.

Why am I telling you all of this?
Because it was Sabbath. 


It was rest.
It was set-apart.
It was an offering to God.

And it was beautiful.

I was utterly impressed from start to finish.

Yesterday I briefly mentioned Sabbath and how on Sundays McFive prioritizes rest.
We are not as dedicated as the Jewish people.
We do not prep and anticipate it beginning the night before. (I suppose I do think often about that Sunday-midday nap pretty much all week... if I'm being real honest.)

But we can certainly learn from them.
From their dedication, desire, and sacrifice.

Maybe you have to work on a Sunday. Maybe you volunteer at your church. Maybe Sunday is your only day off during the week and even attending a church service seems like too much because you cannot even be bothered.  (During my freshmen year at L.I.F.E. Bible College East, I had many friends who went to the "Church of the Holy Pillow" because they just needed rest and -maybe- they were a little "Bible-church-chapel- everything-about-Jesus,-Always - 'ed Out.)

Annie works most weekends and has therefor made Wednesday mornings her Sabbath. She always takes a nap. She reads. She has coffee. Shoe does not work, or do household errands. I think this makes her very wise. 

I bet you're wise as well, aren't you?

"It takes courage to walk away from your job or your calling for a little bit, believing that God will still provide. But Sabbath is something that we are called to- a discipline that will make our lives better if we embrace it." (emp. mine)

Be Brave: 
Grab the book Garden City by John Mark Comer. 
It's a great read and has really helpful information about Sabbath. 


Why has Annie been focusing on Sabbath, rest, play, and eating veggies? 
Because they're important. 

"We need Sabbath. 
 We need rest. We need people. 
 We need friendship."

***
Muchellb's Reset for today is here. Today's goal is to Create a Vision Board (mantras, personal commandments, pictures, goals)

Yesterday I shared some shopping gems I had found and I am so excited to show you what became of them. P.S. We took down Christmas decor yesterday and our Christmas tree when out today. Ho-hum. 


I've seen this idea done with all different items for the "o". 
Hearts
Wreaths
Pumpkins
Flowers
I LOVE the magnolia there. 
Something about MAGNOLIA screams sophistication, beauty, and class to me!

I placed this above our kitchen sink so that I see it often. 
*Metal letters from Hobby Lobby

Here's the metal sign from yesterday: I have found the one whom my soul loves. Yes! 
All gold ornaments in vases were swapped-out for silver and white. 
A subtle way to turn Christmas decor into a lovely winter look. 

*Both items were found at Wal*Mart- who did not sponsor this post, but could. And should! (Wal*Mart, call me!)


No comments:

Post a Comment