Saturday, November 13, 2021

A Large Clock

We went to a Block Party. 

                                       block party 

                 [bläk ˈpärdē]

                      a party for all the residents of a block or neighborhood, 

                                 typically held on a closed-off city street.

Big Strong Man, having never before been to a block party, marveled that our community would gather together, blocking off streets, and celebrating local culture and good times with carnival games, Mrs. T's Perogies, and firehouses selling Yuengling beer. Admittedly, I loved these two-day events which popped up on different weekends every summer throughout my life and were experienced by me as a child, during which time I would ask my parents if I could have dimes to throw into the American Legion glasses in hopes of winning one, and into my teenage and young adult life, where I would meet with friends to simply see and be seen. Even the boring block parties were fun, because the excitement and cotton candy insisted there was no other way. 

The Skook way of living has some really incredible perks. 

***
Someone from Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania also known as the Coal Region
If you've never met a Skook, then you're missing out on a very distinct part of society.
 Grammar is one of the defining attributes and you might often hear words and phrases such as "Yo bot, got any chew bot?" and "Ay, yous guys, yous wanna go get wasted and down a few Jägerbombs?" 
If you ever meet someone from the Coal Region, you will recognize them immediately. 
***

 My uncle Gary lived near the Minersville Block Party and invited Big Strong Man and I in to spend some time with him. Because he had such a big heart, he likely offered us something to drink, something to eat. Sit down. Look around. Just be here and be welcomed. He was just so grateful to have us over. It was early in our married life and we were living in North Carolina. I was pregnant with our first child and together Big Strong Man and I had come to Pennsylvania to see family and friends. It was a week worth celebrating: My sister's first was approaching a year old. Together, Nicolette and M., Marmie, Bria, and I have this beautiful mid-summer picture, my bulging belly included. Buzz, a childhood friend, was also expecting and we compared our pregnant bellies and due dates (less than a week apart!) while listening to the band which played much too loud but only added to the ambiance. BSM ate fried perogies and when it was all said and done, uncle Gary invited us in so that the party didn't need to end.  

 My uncle Gary loved all thinks Philadelphia Phillies, Philadelphia Eagles, and Penn State. He always had a dog whom he treated like his child- in all the best ways. And he had a clock, a large one. It hung on his wall and caught Big Strong Man's attention. They talked about it for awhile and, as it was, Gary hatched a plan.

Before we returned to North Carolina, uncle Gary gave us his clock. 

That large clock hung proudly on our wall in North Carolina. We moved to Pennsylvania a few years later and at the same time, my uncle Gary was moving into a new house in the area. It was our turn to gift him with an awesome clock- there was no better housewarming gift we could think of! Excitedly, the boys and I went to Hobby Lobby where the only rules were: it must be a clock and it must be a large one! We were so pleased to gift it to him- to remind him of his generosity and how he loved us so well with his thoughtfulness all those years earlier. The boys chose a blue one in the shape of a windmill. It had colorful numbers. 

Two months ago my grandmother -uncle Gary's mom- passed away. She had been fine until she wasn't- it was such a quick turn-around. Although she was older and her health failing, the day she passed away still took us for a surprise. We were all so convinced we had more time. 

Gary took nana's death hard. We all did, but Gary seemed lost without her. In the latter half of his life, he had become very close to nan. When she died, I think a piece of him went with her. Unlike the rest of us, I don't think Gary was ever able to recover. I think losing her was too much for him and he ultimately died of a broken heart. I want to believe that this is, in some way, beautiful- like the stories we hear of married couples dying within hours of one another, the second to pass having nothing left on this earth as dear as their other half. It is as if the heart cannot find the ability to go on. 

Today was uncle Gary's funeral. Big Strong Man, our sons, and I all sent a balloon to Heaven; sent with letters and hugs.

I could not have known that this year I would lose both a grandmother and an uncle. I wouldn't have liked to have known something so real and permanent was approaching. That written, and how ironic that uncle Gary had gifted us his clock, because our lives are so valuable, and we only have so much time. 

...for all your caffeine free Coke we drank as children, never stopping to ask for permission or to thank you...for the big, beautiful clock we were honored to have, and for your outdoor celebration in Mt Carmel, thank you...I love you, uncle Gary. I always have. 



Gary had an unconditional love for animals. He had three dogs that were his world, Buddy, Lovey and Pebbles.

He was a large fan of the Philadelphia Eagles, the Philadelphia Phillies and Penn State. He also enjoyed playing on local softball teams.

He cared very much for his family and friends.






No comments:

Post a Comment