Wednesday, May 5, 2021

Knew You When: Kelly Felker

 On a hot summer's day in the Caribbean, a single mom with her three young children waited for her opportunity to zip line. As luck would have it, Richie and I were in that line as well and, although the line was long, it was moving pretty quickly while still affording us some time to get to know one another. Her name was Kelly and  upon meeting her, it was evident that she was A) incredibly fit and B) a boss-lady if ever there was one.  

Ya'll, meet Kelly. A New Yorker, mother, entrepreneur, and wonderfully -refreshingly- 

delightful woman. Kelly, welcome!

               


Richie and I had brought along our GoPro and, after befriending the lot of them, we offered to record their rides and send them to her Facebook Page- a promise we later made good on. She took a chance on us -strangers- but we seemed to have really hit it off and that chance meeting resulted in a full day's adventure on a party island. Did I mention we met in Aruba

                          

After returning to the states, we kept in touch with Kelly and continued to get to know one each other. Also, that earlier mention of her being fit?  READ THIS: abs and arms like fire!!!* 

Turns out that is made possible when you're a 

fitness trainer!

 

For these reasons and more, I reached out to Kelly, asking if she would do an interview with me and gift me the opportunity to pick her mind, share the deets with you, and highlight who she is and how she does all the things. Thankfully, she said yes!

First thing to note about Kelly, is her Facebook punchline: 

Mom. Warrior.

 "There is no force more powerful than a woman determined to rise."

Let's start with mom.  I mentioned three kiddos Megan, Sean and Keira. Each child is physically active (like-mother-like-child) and the group of them participate in ice hockey, dance, lacrosse, soccer and track. Oh, and the ice hockey team is a traveling league, so they have been gifted with the opportunity to see many of our nation's states. Turns out, not only does she travel internationally with her children, but she travels tons with her children's sports.


 

Happiness.
Born Primitive. No Bull. Spring. Great workout.
What makes you happy?

So you are constantly on the go, driving to a game or coaching someone through a session. Tell me how far and wide you have traveled, for sports, leisure, or work. Her response was a humble: 6 countries and 2 continents. Oh yeah, and 22 United States. 

         

It’s time to start. 
No more excuses. 
Remember your why.


Outside of your children, wellness is an absolute priority for you. What are some of your daily practices and  priorities? I invest in all natural skin care products and take my supplements everyday-           

my morning routine hasn’t changed in over a year!

I also eat as clean as possible and stay away from wheat and dairy. Every morning I do dry brushing and as I dry brush I am usually saying my gratitude prayers. I also get my nails done- which in New York is a big deal. And I try to go for a foot massage every few weeks-which I NEED. I made a Vision board before my divorce. It keeps me motivated. I put MY WHY (my kids) on it. And then there's fitness. I work out with weights- kids, dogs, milk cartons, whatever!

 

A workout is celebration of what your body can do-
not punishment for what you ate.
Change your mindset on exercise.
Find a movement you enjoy doing and DO IT!
Not sure what you like or where to start? I can help.

Alright, fitness. My first impression of you was, hot damn! This girl is fit! And a powerhouse! Your energy, personality, and encouragement serve you well, which is great if your career is helping others to learn about nutrition, fitness, and wellness- as it is. You work with MIG and are a business owner/personal trainer at Trinity Lifestyle NY. You also post SO MANY free and fun (and let's not forget challenging) workouts online for others to follow as well as motivational rants, and understanding how foods and supplements work. Here is a quick link to your Fitness Page


***

Looking for a playlist? Check out Kelly's Apple Music Playlist. Click here. 

***

So let's break this down. How did you get started in training? Fitness is my life. I’m so passionate about everyone living healthy lifestyle. I feel our body was created to heal itself and that God gave us the tools to help our body. Sun, sleep, healthy food, exercise, they are extremely underrated. I became a trainer to help women, and moms, who are busy and do not know how to get started, stay motivated, and see results.

And in line with wellness, you landed on Mighty In Good (MIG) and it has been... A surprise blessing to find natural products that work from a company which has faith as its foundation. (If that makes sense.)

It does, girl. It does.

 


It is so blazingly obvious to me that you are a powerhouse. Case in point: you work, work, work, but you enjoy what you are doing -you thrive in this fitness and wellness arena!- and you also play, play, play! This is undeniably universal #GOALS 

Talking about play...you live in New York! I cannot even help it, I hear the name and I think Broadway and showbiz and South Street Seaport and the fact that there is something so glam about it all. As a native, give me your thoughts and also some rad reviews. What is a secret gem to see or experience when visiting? NYC has hidden gems. Of course there is the 9/11 Memorial and the Statue of Liberty. (*Insider's tip: take a water taxi so you can see the Brooklyn bridge!) Also the High Line - a unique way to see the city, gardens, restaurants, apartments, on & on! (The High Line is an old rail system that is not in use. You can see the city without being in the city.)

North of the city is amazing! NY state is gorgeous. You have the CatskillsSaratoga (horse racing), and the beautiful landscapes of the Canadian boarder. Montauk to the east with the Montauk Point Light LighthouseFire Island which transports you back in time (no cars allowed on the island), and North Shore with its beautiful hills along the sound. Being on Long Island we hardly leave because of traffic. Here we have beaches and hiking. 
***
Do a VIRTUAL TOUR from home! 
Click on the site here for a virtual experience!
***

So, silly, but you know I'm going to ask... Which famous people have you seen? Famous people? I have seen stars but in NY we are all so busy and I never bother. (Typical New Yorker.) Going to a kid’s show, Keith Urban and Nicole Kidman were trying to get in the building through the VIP doors- which were closed. I recognized them and my (ex) husband used to run the building so I asked him to have security meet them at the main gate- because they were going to be bombarded. We told Keith, Nicole and their kids to wait a minute and that there was a plan to help them to their seats. That was my biggest star moment.

OK, I'm thinking of another type of person, not famous...can you guess where this is going? What does dating look like for you? Are you interested? What are your hopes for the future and do you have any wild and kooky experience you can share with us?  (HOLD UP! Just so you know, I got the green light to write about this. Kelly is fun and rolled with it. No hating!) Dating? We can talk about it.... It's a circus. I have no time for games. The dating scene {haha} that's like comedy hour. Plus, it is so hard to date with kids and their schedules! 




Alright friend, thank you so much for your time and for the laughs- we shared a few! I'm grateful to have met you as we did and spark a friendship. Thank you for taking a chance on us!



Want to be in touch with Kelly?
Check her out at:


And, alas, I have one last piece for you and then I'm signing off- Those abs!

I knew you wanted to see these abs, but showing them right off the bat? Nah, that's tacky!
Here, at the conclusion? This is going out in style!


Final word from Kelly:

Let’s go! Get up and kill it today!
You set a goal. Now YOU have to WORK towards that goal.
DISCIPLINE OVER MOTIVATION!




























No comments:

Post a Comment